Le coupe chou

Le coupe chou

⭐⭐⭐

🇫🇷 French / 📍 Iidabashi

📓 Visits: 1

Le coupe chou operated for 42 years from Shinjuku and after a two year hiatus re-emerged in Iidabashi in November 2022.  The lunch menu (and price) has not changed since then.  For JPY 1,300 you get starter or soup, main, bread, dessert and coffee.  For an extra 400 yen (and my choice) you get all the above.

I chose chicken sautee for my main but regretted my choice as it was served simply with Japanese mushrooms.  The fish looked better and was bigger than I expected.  Bread is refillable and was an acceptable baguette but the butter it was served with tasted like it had been mixed with butteroil and was indelibly sweet.  Coffee was stewed and served with creamer.  The best dish was the onion pottage which I rated 9/10.

About 80% of the 17 seats were occupied on my visit but despite there being only one chef in the kitchen, food came out at a good pace.  The waitress was polite and efficient and could speak some English.  I thought Covid-secure perspex was a thing of the past but not so if you're at the counter here.  It's a small restaurant and ventilation from the open kitchen was poor.

For a super cheap French lunch I still prefer Portier.

📌 https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1309/A130905/13274812/

My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐ 3.4

📱 Booking: 🟩 It looks super-popular on Tabelog but I think that's because they just limit the number of available slots.  Either way you can't book for lunch online.  I booked a day in advance by phone but people were walking in on my visit.

📍 Location: 

2F Mariana Iidabashi East Bldg, 3-1-6 Iidabashi.  2F multi-tenant building.
Map data ©2023 Google

📅 Visit April 2023

Roast pork, salad
Onion pottage
Chicken sautee
Coconut blancmange
Coffee

💴 Damage: 1,700 (cash only at lunch)
⏱️ Time taken: 35m

Comments