Grill Sakura

Grill Sakura (グリル佐久良)

⭐⭐

🍽 Yoshoku / 📍 Asakusa

📓 Visits: 1 (2022)

The oldest yoshoku restaurant in Tokyo is Rengatei, which has been open since 1895.  Grill Sakura hasn't been open quite as long (1967) but many consider it a classic.  At weekends you'll need to queue so I went on a weekday and despite my finding the restaurant half empty when I was eventually let in, I had to wait outside for 15 minutes to be seated.  I might have been a touch unlucky with timing as a party arriving after me were seated immediately and, thankfully, once I actually ordered the food only took 8 mins to arrive.  No English was spoken and there was no English menu but I knew what I came for: the two most popular dishes of beef stew and buttered toast.


The meat and sauce was very good.  The vegetables were somewhere between not great and just OK.  I did not enjoy the toast.  It tasted of margarine rather than butter and had a slightly rancid taste.  I dislike plain, cheap refined carbohydrates so I did not order rice, which is charged separately at 300 yen.  Beef stew is standard fare in Europe and while you might not be able to re-create a sauce as rich and with as much depth of flavour as this, and good ingredients would be expensive in Japan, it's not hard to make a satisfying beef stew and if you've made it before you'll know exactly how to comfort yourself.

I'm glad I satisfied my curiosity and if, like me, you're not really the target customer then don't expect too much if you go.

For dessert head to Suzukien, which is a minute away, and claims to serve the richest matcha ice-cream in the World.  Queues go out the door here on weekends too but there's no queue on weekdays.  Use of single-use plastics is almost criminal but the gelato was so good I got a second round.

📌 https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1311/A131102/13003755/

❓ My Rating: ⭐⭐ 2.9

📱 Booking: No bookings.

📍 Location: 

3-32-4 Asakusa.  8-9 mins from Asakusa stations.  Dedicated street-facing entrance.

📅 Visit June 2022

Beef stew 2500
Thick toast 350

💴 Damage: 2,850 (cash only)

⏱️ Time taken: 35m

Comments