Reglisse

⚠️ Closed on 31st March 2023.

Reglisse

⭐⭐

🇫🇷 French / 📍 Roppongi

📓 Visits: 1 (2021)

Reglisse is in the premises formerly occupied by the then udon restaurant Hashida Honten which closed in 2018.

The dining room is very comfortable: lots of natural light from the large (net-curtained) windows, double-height ceilings, indoor trees, no tablecloths but carpeted and with fully-upholstered seats.  The sofa seating was particularly comfortable and I recommend requesting this if you go.  For social distancing, right now there are only 4, well-spaced-out tables for four in the main dining room and a private room that can seat up to 6.  Children are accepted but there is no kids menu.  On my visit at lunch on a weekday during the school holidays there was some occasional noise from children playing outside.  All but one of the tables would end up being occupied.  I was wearing shorts and T-shirt and didn't feel uncomfortable.

I had the 3-course lunch which was priced at JPY 3,080 (3,850 on weekends and holidays).  Since my visit this course is no longer available.  Dinner is now priced at JPY 9,900 or JPY 16,500 with the cheaper menu being available at weekend and holiday lunchtime at the reduced price of JPY 7,700.  Menus were bilingual but staff were not.

Amuse was two small madeleines, one flavoured with tomato and one with cheese - an interesting start.  Michel Bras' Gargouillou must be one of the most imitated dishes in French restaurants and it's usually very good in Japan due to the availability of fresh and high-quality ingredients.  Here it was excellent.  There must have been over 20 different leaves and vegetables on this plate, some cooked and others raw.  This is the sort of thing I could eat every day and never be bored with.  The main dish of quail was unfortunately not available on my visit so I chose sea bass.  The skin, on the not-particularly-large piece of fish, was nice and crispy but the middle was not fully cooked.  Well, better under than over.  The fish was finished with a white wine sauce and sat on a tablespoon of pomme puree that wasn't evenly hot.  The first serving of a mini bread roll was good but subsequent servings were from a stodgy baguette, which I did not finish.  I didn't think the base course was going to be enough so I added the omurice with truffle sauce for an additional 880 yen.  Unfortunately this gave me the unsatisfying feeling you get from eating a low-fat, experimental version of a dish you cooked yourself that didn't quite work out right rather than giving you a feeling of comfort or luxury.  The combination of rice and barley was al-dente.  There wasn't enough butter and there was too much pepper.  There wasn't enough demiglace sauce, though what was there tasted slightly burnt.  The portion was very small but I didn't really want any more.  Dessert was baked cheesecake with mango, mango sorbet and a chocolate granita.  This was like "let's put everything we like in dessert all on one plate".  For me, chocolate and fruit don't work well together and chocolate and cheese is a very heavy combination.  Presentation was lacking and it would probably have been better presented as a parfait.  As the granita melted you ended up with a plate of sludge.  I was worried about my constitution so I didn't finish it.  Coffee (or tea) is included in the course and wasn't special.  The final item of fruit jelly was far too sweet.

Service was polite and the chef came out to see me off but I was slowed down so my dishes could be served at the same time as another table.

Overall there was not much skill on show here.  Apart from the salad, there was nothing here you couldn't easily cook at home yourself and do a better job of.  But it was a cheap and relaxing lunch and in a very convenient location.

📌 https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1307/A130701/13241096/

My Rating: ⭐⭐ 2.9

📱 Booking: 🟩 Same-day or advance bookings by Tabelog or by phone.  I would recommend booking on the day or the day before due to the limited number of tables.

📍 Location: 

3F Keyakizaka Dori, Roppongi Hills.  From the Mori Tower head towards the Roppongi Lutheran Church and American School in Japan Early Learning Center and turn right after the water feature.
Map data ©2021 Google

📅 Visit August 2021


💴 Damage: 4,356 (3080 + 880 + 10%)
⏱️ Time taken: 1h5m

Comments