Towa

Towa (常)

⭐⭐⭐

🇯🇵 Kaiseki / 📍 Nishiazabu

📓 Visits: 1 (2020)

Towa was awarded one Michelin star in the 2020 guide.  The course menu is JPY 25,000 plus tax and
service but when I went it was JPY 30,000, either because it was matsutake season or because I opted for sirloin instead of rump when given a choice of cut for the main dish.  One party were having a special suppon course which would be more expensive.

You can negotiate your start time but the meal will be sped up or slowed down so dishes can be timed with other parties dining.  There's a straight 7-seat counter and one private room.  I really liked how the dining room was lit.  Chef chatted a little with regulars but I felt that he didn't introduce the dishes properly.  No English was spoken.

Towa specializes in beef and there were four dishes containing beef.  However, the main dish of Kobe beef sirloin was a disappointment being slightly stewed rather than having a nice crust.  Other than that the food was very good - lots of expensive ingredients cooked very well.  I was thinking how much of a bargain this was for 25K until I got the final bill.  I should have asked when booking how much the course was rather than assuming it was 25K.  If they'd said 30K it probably wouldn't have stopped me booking but would have set my expectations accordingly.

I was quite full by the time of the shokuji so I only had one bowl of rice and asked to take home the rest, as it was from a pot not shared with other diners.  I was expecting to be taking away a substantial amount but instead was given a tiny bag containing what would be just one bowlful of rice.  That trick ruined the night for me and considering the cold service left me in no doubt I would never return to this restaurant again.

📌 https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1307/A130703/13220791/

❓ My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐ 3.8 (0.2 off for the trick with the rice, 0.1 off for the disappointment with the beef)

📱 Booking: 🟩 Easy.  You can book via Omakase but I was able make a same-day booking by phone.

 đŸ“Œ Location: 

2F Modern Form Nishiazabu, 4-11-25 Nishiazabu.  2nd left after Nishi-Azabu crossing going West on the South side of Roppongi Dori.  2F multi-tenant building.

Map data ©2021 Google

📅 Visit September 2020

Matsutake chawanmushi
Matsutake, hammo
Kegani, nashi, caviar, soramame, jelly
Ikura, beef tartar, rice
Otsukuri: hirame, tai
Owan: matsutake, nasu, kuruma ebi shinjo
Beef pastilla
Gyutan
Ramen
Kobe beef sirloin
Matsutake hamo takikomi gohan
Miso soup, pickles
Ice

💴 Damage: 37,752 (30k + 2 drinks at 600 + 10% + 10%)
⏱️ Time taken: 2h15m

Comments